Twelve Alternatives to Lashing Your at Your Child
The next time everyday pressure builds up to the point where you feel like lashing out – STOP! Try any of these simple alternatives. You’ll feel better…and so will your child.
- Take a deep breath ... and another. Then remember you are the adult.
- Close your eyes and imagine you’re hearing what your child is about to hear.
- Press your lips together and count to 10 … or better yet, to 20.
- Put your child in a time-out (remember this rule: one time-out minute for each year of age.)
- Put yourself in a time-out. Think about why you are angry: is it your child, or is your child simply a convenient target for your anger?
- Phone a friend.
- If someone can watch the children, go outside and take a walk.
- Take a hot bath or splash cold water on your face.
- Exercise. Do some pushups or jumping jacks.
- Turn on some relaxing music.
- Pick up a pencil and write down as many helpful words as you can think of. Save the list.
- Call for prevention information: 1-800-CHILDREN